Back to top

Questions about Schengen visa.

2 envíos / 0 nuevos
Último envío
WS Member Imagen de Andrés Izquierdo
Questions about Schengen visa.

When I arrive in Europe, I can enter even if I do not have a ticket back to my country?

(Whenever I travel by bicycle I take advantage of the maximum of each country to be able to work a few weeks and continue)

FP Promote: 
Not on Front Page
WS Member Imagen de WS Member
Schengen visa

Hi there,

On a legal basis, a traveler is not obligated to have a  return ticket when traveling to the Schengen Area. The relevant regulation (Schengen Border Code, Article 6) only lists the following related requirement:

(c) they justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and they have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin or transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully;

As for traveling between the Schengen members states - no, it's not necessary to have an onward ticket of any kind. You do need to have a valid visa and you can't exceed the 90/180 limit, but you won't pass border controls and you won't be asked for any sort of supporting documentation. Such checks are only done at the external border.

This said, you need to look the part when first crossing a Schengen border. Most of the time it is very easy, but if you look like a poverty case, you can get interrogated and refused. Have a good story, prepared, like where you plan on flying out from, some banks cards, how long you plan on spending in the Schengen zone. Of course, do not mention that you plan to work at all. 

"Schengen countries have a border-free visa agreement that lets residents move throughout the Area without needing a passport. Essentially, it’s as if they’re one country, and you can move as freely as you want. (Residents of the UK and Ireland are also allowed limitless entry.) For non-Schengen citizens, you’re allowed entry into the Area for 90 days within any 180-day period. These days don’t need to be consecutive — the total is cumulative. Once day 181 hits, the count resets itself.

For example, if I come to the Area in January and stay for 60 days and then come back in June for 10 days, that counts as 70 days in 180 days. Only days you are in the zone during the period count."

Here is a trick that applies to US citizens only, you can stay an additional 90 days. Trick is to enter Poland from a non-Schengen country to get a stamp in your passport. There's a few left in the Balkans, but the easiest is Poland / Ukraine. You can only have a couple days on your Schengen visa, but as an American you have an additional 90 days here. You don't need this much time of course, but you can add a couple weeks of cycling without getting a penalty.

Hope this helps
Robert Mink
Jary Poland via Spokane USA

Tema cerrado